Tuesday 14 May 2013

An Afternoon Wasted

I was going to put in writing about gaming Headsets, in order that if you ever planned on purchasing one, or else you planned to learn more about them, you are able to use this article. I have departed from that vaguely (OK considerably), and here is why.

When I write posts (if you Google me you’ll find that I have written a lot), I regularly use what we writers call a ‘framing device’, which is, a pleasant beginning/end to the piece that lightly eases you into it, regularly via a joke or anecdote. This makes it easier for me to write down (I’m not the most technically savvy bloke on Earth) and easier that you can read. I need you to buy the products, but that doesn’t mean we could’t have a laugh or two, does it?

I had a little think about how to frame a piece of writing about Headsets, and came up with a pretty decent idea. The beauty of writing for the web is that anything you write about can be instantaneously accessed, so I decided that I would frame my Headphones article around ‘The Angry German Kid’ viral video, as an example of the type of folks that shouldn’t buy Headphones. If you have not seen the ‘Angry German Kid’ video, it depicts a youthful German boy attempting to learn the game ‘Unreal Tournament’ and screaming wildly when it does not work. Creating humorous subtitles to accompany the boy’s increasingly deranged ranting is becoming a pastime preferred by identical those who do those ‘Hitler reacts’ videos (in fact, there’s even a crossover of both).

In order to find out more about this video, I searched the usual places, but found nothing other than dodgy translations (and, despite being part German myself, I can not speak a word) and propaganda claiming the boy was sectioned inside a psychiatric organization. Ultimately, after a long and exhaustive hunt, I discovered the facts regarding the Angry German Kid, and much more than I needed for a quick article about Headsets at that.

As it seems, AGK’s real name is Leopold and he is the cause of several comedy ‘characters’, including ‘Der Echte Gangster’ (a parody of white would-be gangsters) ‘Metaler’ (a parody of ‘cookie monster’ heavy metal singers) and ‘Das Comeback’ where he plays an oafish, but well-meaning, moron. It seems that, the boy was deceived by a German television show, who spread his AGK video (itself intended to send up the (then current) debate in Germany regarding whether violent games should be banned or not. Sadly, the kid has resisted making more videos since AGK went viral and he was ruthlessly bullied at school. As it seems, it is possible to quite happily buy any Headphones you wish, without turning into an irate German. And I wasted a complete afternoon finding that out for you. If you wish to see an actual freakout, visit Youtube and type ‘Greatest Freakout Ever’ and no, I do not have time to find out the fairy-tale behind it for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment